Another day, another dog walk! When we want a change of scene but don’t want to head too far afield then one of our favourite London Dog walks is at Barnes & Putney Commons, lots of open space, woods and even a river to swim in make this a hit with the Dogvine Crew. You can start the walk from a number of places but this version starts at the car park on Mill Hill Road in front of Putney Common Lower Chapel which I tend to do in the week as there is free parking there. Another version starts over on Putney Embankment but we’ll save that for another day.
This walk is about 2.5km long and takes approx. 40-50 minutes. In a nutshell, from the car park we headed through Barnes Common and then inwards back towards Putney past the Barn Elms Sports Centre, stopping off in the massive Rocks Lane Field for some essential ball throwing. Then we walked towards Beverly Brook, crossing the small footbridge to the other side and following the path alongside the brook until we reached the large footbridge which takes you back into Putney Lower Common where you can stay in the main field or do a mini-circuit through the wooded area as we did, before finishing up back in the main field.
You can see the route below and as usual, if you want to send a copy of the route to your phone to navigate as you go, just download the free app “MapMyWalk” from the App Store and then click on this link to view the route where there will be an option to send the route to your phone. Have a good walk!
London Dog Walks – Barnes & Putney Commons:
- Starts / Finishes: The car park on Mill Hill Road in front of Putney Lower Common Chapel. Parking is free here for up to 4 hours.
- Off Lead: Yes
- Poo Bins: Not so many. Mostly at the start of the walk near the car park and on the other side of the common near the main footbridge across Beverly Brook.
- Water (for the dogs): Only from the brook.
- Coffee (for you): Bring your own or head into Barnes village afterwards.
- What else?: Can get quite muddy so wear your wellies.